JEWELLERY EXPORTERS’ ASSOCIATION 2023-2024
14. INTERNATIONAL JEWELLERY DESIGN COMPETITION SPECIFICATIONS
1 – SUBJECT AND THEME OF THE COMPETITION:
Subject: Jewellery design made of gold and/or gemstones.
Theme: “REBORN” Designs addressing principles such as sustainability, recycling, or the revaluation of previously used stones, or incorporating these principles into the production, sale, and usage processes. Competitors can participate with original designs that meet the qualities of “originality,” “innovation,” “marketability,” “feasibility,” and “alignment with the theme” under the REBORN theme.
2 – OBJECTIVE OF THE COMPETITION:
- Creating a platform to encourage creativity in gold jewelry and jewelry design to foster striking, contemporary designs,
- Encouraging the design of high-value-added products in Turkish jewelry,
- Contributing to the introduction of young, successful, creative, dynamic designers to the industry.
3 – ORGANIZER OF THE COMPETITION:
The competition is organized by the Jewellery Exporters’ Association under the Istanbul Minerals and Metals Exporters’ Associations General Secretariat.
4 – PARTICIPATION CONDITIONS:
1. The competition is open to all participants, including university students majoring in Fine Arts, Fine Arts and Design, Architecture, Architecture and Design, Art and Design faculties, as well as professionals or amateurs interested in design who have reached the age of 18.
2. All designs will be evaluated in a single category without distinction of participant identity and title..
3. A participant can enter the competition with a maximum of 6 different designs. However, they can only be a finalist with one design.
4. Designers who have participated in previous Jewellery Design Competitions and have been disqualified from the competition with those designs cannot participate.
5. Designs must not have participated in any other competition before, and they must be original and not exhibited anywhere else.
6. Designs may predominantly use precious metals and may include other desired materials.
7. Employees of IMMIB, even if they have resigned, as well as primary degree relatives of members of the jury, alternate members, competition rapporteurs, and officials, are not eligible to participate in the competition.
8. A participant who has received an award from any category of any design competition organized by collaboration organizations in the jewelry sector receiving design support within the scope of the decision on Export Supports No. 5973 by the Ministry of Trade cannot participate in the 14th International Jewellery Design Competition. The honorable mention awards received from other competitions do not cover this condition, and do not constitute an obstacle to participation in the 14th International Jewellery Design Competition.
9. For finalist works, except for technical mechanical requirements in the production stage, fidelity to the design will be maintained.
10. By participating in the competition, participants acknowledge that they have read and accepted the specifications.
5 – PARTICIPATION METHOD AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
Registration for the competition must be made following the instructions below. Participants who will participate with multiple designs must make separate uploads for each design.
a) Competition applications are only made online. Competition participants must first create a profile on the Designer Portal accessed through the “Designer Login” on the website prepared by the Jewellery Exporters’ Association for the competition (designer.turkishjewellery.org). After registering on the portal, participants will upload the visuals of 3 design sheets seen after clicking on the “14th International Jewellery Design Competition” button and click the button indicating their approval of the participation conditions. Thus, they will have completed their online applications. Participants will be given a participant nickname generated specifically for each application by the system. These nicknames should not be forgotten. An approval e-mail will be sent to the participant by our Union confirming the online application.
b) The content and dimensions of the sheets; must be a maximum of 10 MB in size and in jpeg, png, or jpg format.
In the projects uploaded to the system, the names of the project files, texts related to the project, the name of the candidate/candidates, identification/contact information, school name, course name, nickname, and square code, etc. should not be included. Projects of candidates who do not comply with these provisions will not be considered for evaluation. The responsibility for the designs uploaded to the system belongs entirely to the designer.
6 – COMPETITION TIMELINE:
- Online Registration and Application Dates: January 5 – March 17, 2024
- Jury Meeting: March 20, 2024
- Delivery of Produced Finalist Works: April 15, 2024
- Final Jury Meeting: April 16, 2024
- Award Ceremony*: April 19, 2024
Detailed information about the Award Ceremony planned to be held simultaneously with the Istanbul Jewellery Fair will be announced later. Finalist works selected for production will be announced on social media and the websites of turkishjewellery.org and www.mucevhertasarimyarismasi.com.tr.
7 – AWARDS AND FINALIST COLLECTION:
Cash prizes will be given to the designers of the top 3 works in the competition. Finalists will be given participation plaques and certificates. Their designs will be exhibited at national and international fairs. The competition jury reserves the right to decide on the number of selected works if there are not enough designs that meet the competition criteria.
1st Prize: 200,000 TL
2nd Prize: 125,000 TL
3rd Prize: 75,000 TL
8 – JURY:
The Selection Committee Members selected by the Jewellery Exporters’ Association have been chosen considering the following criteria. The jury list will be announced later.
- More than half of the total number of committee members are professional designers,
- Care is taken to include leading figures in the sector on the jury,
- Participation of academics from universities who are successful and renowned in their field is ensured.
9 – EVALUATION CRITERIA:
In the evaluation by the Selection Committee, priority will be given to whether the designs exhibit relevance to the subject, originality, and visual aesthetic qualities; criteria such as suitability for production, marketability, ergonomic structure, and aesthetic appeal will be sought.
The points to be considered in the Selection Committee evaluation are specified below;
- Theme: The design proposal’s relevance to the theme in question,
- Innovation: The design proposal’s innovative and original nature,
- Feasibility: The design proposal’s suitability for production and usability, and the selection of materials suitable for the design’s function,
- Export Potential: The design proposal’s potential for export and its marketability in the international market,
- General and Mechanical Aesthetics: The design proposal’s adequacy in terms of aesthetics, visual integrity in terms of mechanics, attractiveness, and appeal to emotions.
10 – EVALUATION PROCESS AND ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS:
The competition jury will make an initial evaluation of the designs submitted to the competition and select 10 different designs as finalists. Finalists will be matched with manufacturing companies, and arrangements will be made for the production of their designs. Final rankings will be based on the produced products. The designs that make it to the final will be announced to jewelry manufacturers through the details of their designers in the publications, social media, and activities of the Jewellery Exporters’ Association.
11 – COMPETITION SECRETARIAT AND CONTACT INFORMATION:
All communication regarding the competition will be made through the company and contact information provided below.
DDF TANITIM TASARIM DANIŞMANLIK VE ORG. İÇ VE DIŞ TİC. A.Ş.
PİRİPAŞA MAHALLESİ, BODUROĞLU SOKAK, NO: 9/A BEYOĞLU/ISTANBUL
Phone: (212) 369 92 92 E-mail: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
12 – COPYRIGHTS, INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION, RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ORGANIZATION OPENING THE COMPETITION:
The copyright of the award-winning projects belongs to the project originator designers. The amount paid to the designer as an award does not imply the transfer of copyright to the organization opening the competition. Before submitting competition projects, it is the responsibility of the participants to apply for Design Registration within the scope of the Decree-Law No. 554 on the Protection of Industrial Designs.
Istanbul Minerals and Metals Exporters’ Associations General Secretariat, Jewellery Exporters’ Association, acquires the right to exhibit, publish, archive, etc. the finalist projects. The Organizer of the Competition may request the inclusion of a design in the collection, commercializing, or transfer of copyright of a finalist project. At this stage, Istanbul Minerals and Metals Exporters’ Associations General Secretariat, Jewellery Exporters’ Association members may request priority in pre-purchase/agreement. This process is conducted separately between the designer and the union member. The sponsor company that supports the production of finalist designs does not acquire the copyright to the design, but may request the transfer of the copyright to the design. The transfer of copyright to the sponsor company can be made upon the designer’s acceptance and consent, and at the price requested by the designer. This process is conducted separately between the designer and the sponsor company, and the Jewellery Exporters’ Association is not responsible for any disputes that may arise.
13 – OTHER MATTERS:
- Designs that do not comply with the competition specifications will not be presented to the jury.
- Copyrights and protection of awarded projects are the responsibility of the project owner designers.
- In cases deemed necessary, the Union may request the originals of the documents provided by the participants during registration.
- Unless requested otherwise by the participants, the Union may announce and publish information and images related to the participants together with their projects.
- All participants in the competition agree to the exhibition and publication of their projects by the organization opening the competition.
- All participants signing the competition specifications will be deemed to have accepted the conditions of the specifications, competition terms, and jury decisions.
- The Jewellery Exporters’ Association (JEA) reserves the right to amend the specifications.
- Projects determined to be similar or plagiarized will be excluded from the competition; if they have won an award, the award will be revoked by the General Secretariat of IMMIB.
- The responsibility will be on the participant if the submitted work is not original, there is a claim to the contrary, or third parties claim rights over the design.